Orthodontic Treatment for Adults
“It is extremely rewarding to see adults who have never liked their smile their whole life, and finally choose to straighten their teeth and improve their smile; then to see their happiness afterwards, and to hear them ask, ‘Why did I not do this a long time ago? I love my teeth! I love my smile!’
When adult patients see what an impact orthodontics has had, and what a change it has made in not only the appearance of their smile but on their whole countenance, and they love the way they look, and are more confident smiling, it is so fulfilling. That is why I became an orthodontist—because I want to help people change their lives for the better.” ~Dr. Willes
It’s never too late for the smile you’ve always dreamed of, or for taking care of that “one little tooth” that has always bothered you. In fact, we often find that parents of our patients who have faithfully led their children through their orthodontic treatment finally decide it’s their turn when the kids are done. And we love that!
Many adults of all ages are choosing to receive treatment because they understand the importance of maintaining their health, and they want to feel better about their appearance. Adults everywhere are taking advantage of the opportunity to receive orthodontic care, and now you can too.
Common reasons why adults are considering orthodontic treatment
- A bad bite or malocclusion which causes teeth to fit together incorrectly
- Teeth are crowded or spaced apart, possibly leading to tooth decay or gum disease
- Abnormal jaw pain or pressure caused by crooked teeth
- Desire for a healthier mouth and a more confident smile
Treatment Options for Adults
For many adults, the thought of having metal braces is enough to discourage them from seeking treatment. However, today’s orthodontic treatment options offer a variety of braces and appliances that are comfortable, aesthetic, and customized to meet your needs. Types of braces include:
- Clear aligners (Invisalign)
- Ceramic braces
- Traditional metal braces
The difference between adult orthodontics and orthodontics for children and teens
The main difference between treating adults and children or teens is that the jawbones of younger patients are still developing. For adults, these bones have stopped growing, which may make orthognathic surgery a helpful option to align the jawbones.
Other differences include:
- Gum or bone loss (periodontal disease) — Adults are more likely than children to experience gum recession or even bone loss due to gingivitis or advanced periodontal disease. Patients with straighter teeth are less likely to get gum disease.
- Worn or missing teeth — Over time, teeth can become worn down and shift into different positions that can only be corrected with orthodontic care. Missing teeth can cause other teeth to shift and tilt, creating a bad bite and increasing the possibility of gum disease.
- Incomplete orthodontic treatment as a teen — Many adults received some orthodontic treatment as a child or teen, but never completed their treatment. As an adult, they choose to complete their orthodontic treatment to achieve the healthy, beautiful smile they always wanted.
Our practice also recognizes that adults and children have different needs, and require different levels of attention and care. We will work with you to ensure you receive the most appropriate treatments, and your needs are met with understanding and respect from us.
Benefits of orthodontic treatment
- Straight teeth are healthy teeth — Teeth that are properly aligned are easier to keep clean with flossing and brushing, and may help prevent other health problems.*
- A beautiful, straight smile builds confidence — Orthodontic treatment can help boost your self-confidence, which gives you a better quality of life and the freedom to smile without holding back!
- Mouths left untreated can get worse and impact overall health — Not receiving orthodontic treatment when it’s needed can create long-term health issues that cost you more in the end.*
- *Recent studiest show that poor dental health has been linked to heart disease, respiratory ailments, diabetes and even Alzheimer's.
To learn more about the benefits of adult orthodontics, feel free to schedule a complimentary, no-pressure appointment. Dr. Willes is happy to explain all your options so you can decide if treatment is something you want at this time or not. Also, we understand you have a busy schedule, and we will work with you to make sure each office visit is as convenient as possible.
No Obligation Complimentary Orthodontic Consultation for Adults
Dr. Michael G. Willes is a board-certified orthodontist, serving patients in Carlsbad, Oceanside, Vista, and Encinitas, CA. Willes Orthodontics provides excellent orthodontic care in a positive environment, resulting in beautiful smiles and stronger self-esteem. Contact us today for your free consultation.